Applicants need to apply using the University's online application system.
The Admissions Committee only reviews complete applications (all materials have been submitted, including reference letters, GRE scores and TOEFL scores if required.)
Required of All Applicants
- Application for Admission to the Graduate College and application processing fee. Includes submission of a resumé (not to exceed 750 words) and a personal statement (not to exceed 1000 words). The resumé should include any academic degrees, non-academic training and employment experience, scholastic and professional memberships, awards, and recognitions, and a list of authored and co-authored publications. The personal statement needs to include information regarding educational and career goals. The personal statement is particularly important in judging the candidate’s interests in relation to the department’s programs and faculty.
- Official academic record of all post-secondary level study completed to date. Should include courses taken, grades earned, and degrees awarded. Unofficial transcripts meet this requirement.
- Three letters of reference, preferably from those familiar with the student’s academic or research experience.
- GRE general test scores. Should include scores for verbal, quantitative, and analytical or analytical writing sections. Scores should be submitted directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS).
Institution code: 1836. Department code: 0101.
Required of Ph.D. Applicants
- Writing Sample: Examples include a copy of a published paper, a research report, or a selected chapter from an M.S. thesis. The writing sample must be in English. There is not a word limit or page requirement.
Required of International Applicants
- Attested English translation of academic record if original not in English.
- Proof of English Proficiency Requirements for Admission are on the Graduate College's website.
- Exemptions to the University English Proficiency Requirements, including exempt countries, are located on the lower part of the same page.
- Results need to be submitted directly from TOEFL/ETS or IELTS. Institution code: 1836. Department code: 99.
If self-funded or sponsored, appropriate financial certification. See the Evidence of Financial Resources